The Cars

I was in the 8th grade when The Cars debut record came out.

I absolutely loved it.

I wasn’t alone.

Looking back on it, it is one of the greatest debut albums ever. I was on a soccer field when I heard that an old buddy, Sam Rizzo told me that he won a copy of the record from a local radio station.

“Can I have it?” I asked.

“No f***ing way,” he said.

I eventually got the record.

Wore it out!

It’s still in my phone...

...along with every other record they made.

I also bought Benjamin Orr’s solo record and every solo record that the main front man, Ric Ocasek ever made.

Who didn’t love The Cars?

Ocasek died on Sunday. I was surprised to hear that he was 75 years old, but about 2 weeks ago I wrote a blog saying that we were going to be losing rock & rollers.

Here’s the thing.

Ocasek and Orr were great songwriters.

Had some exceptional lines.

“Flying like a cement kite.”

I instantly thought of a girl I had a crush on in high school. It was a serious crush! Lasted for years!!

I once took out my black notebook and wrote down all the best Cars lines.

When I heard that Ocasek died I immediately pictured her pretty, young face in my head.

Think of that impact:

Two young men from Boston wrote songs and an even younger guy in a small town south of Buffalo wrote the lines down and tried to impress a girl.

42 years later, the same guy thought of that girl.

That’s how art works.

What a legend!

I put out a notice about my next book:

“Small Town”

A whole bunch of people congratulated me and mentioned that they can’t wait.

That made me thrilled...

...and it made me think of Ocasek again.

It’s why everyone creates.

When I was writing down Ocasek and Orr lyrics in my little black notebook at 12-years old...

...I aspired to make a difference.

Ocasek and Orr made a mark.

Legends.

RIP...

...they’re together again.

Great music up there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie