Down to One

We have one kid living here now.

Jake is moving into an apartment with a buddy. There are boxes and clothes all over the place, but their apartment is ready on 10/01.

It’s weird!

Now there’s just Sam here...

...although Matt still does his laundry here every three days.

I’m sure Jake will continue to use the facilities as well.

But it’s a major adjustment.

For instance:

Dinner is no longer an event.

With just 3 of us hanging around we won’t be cooking roasts and mashing potatoes quite as often.

But it kinda’ sucks, to be honest.

The other day I found a photo of all the boys, from Christmas back about ten years ago.

Thought about playing video games with them, and breaking up fights.

The quiet will be deafening.

Yet, I think of when I went and got an apartment on my own. I recall my Dad saying, “Stay here! Save money!!”

But I knew it was time to get my life started.

That’s the feeling that makes you move to a smaller place where dinner isn’t always ready for you.

I sent Jake a text:

“When you need something, know I’m here.”

I’m sure he’ll be taking me up on that offer...

...probably pretty soon.

I was in my 40’s and my Dad used to call.

“We’re having pork chops. We made enough if you want to come over.”

I would laugh.

Dad never actually got over the fact that his kids moved out.

I know what he was thinking.

Yesterday evening, however, the place was full.

Jake, Sam and a couple of their buddies were just hanging out, watching football, and laughing.

They were loud.

I wasn’t.

I just hung out, listening to their back and forth.

Maybe we oughta’ think about getting a smaller place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie