One Shining Moment

Things have been a little rough in Kathy land.

She’s been battling the flu and cold for about a month.

Then I got the cold right as the NCAA Tourney started, but everyone was caught up in the pool we were all in and the games.

My bracket was in first place for the entire week.

“We’ve been doing this for over 20 years and I never come close,” my beautiful wife whined.

“It’s fun,” I said. “It’s ten bucks.”

“I ain’t doing it next year.”

I figured that it was just the illness talking.

Then, a funny thing happened.

An upset on Thursday shook up the standings and while I was still in first on Saturday...

...I was tied...

...with Kathy.

At Saturday morning breakfast, she was excited. She asked me about the games coming up and we went over the possibilities.

“You’re in good shape to the end as long as Gonzaga wins.”

We made fun of the boys who, every time they brought up the games, were dismissed as clueless.

“What’s going on?” Sam asked.

“Just the co-leaders having breakfast,” I said.

He walked out, but not before saying:

“You won’t be laughing tonight when Texas Tech beats Gonzaga.”

Kathy looked concerned.

“That won’t happen, right?”

“It could,” I said. “It’s a crapshoot.”

Well, our 7’s and 11’s came up 6’s and 9’s.

Gonzaga lost.

By Sunday morning I was out of first too, and talking about staying in the money.

“Ah well, it was fun,” I said.

“It’s stupid,” Kathy replied.

We could’ve been a contender.

At least we still feel like garbage!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie