Driving A Jaguar

I haven’t had to travel quite as much in the last little while, but I needed to make a run to a site in Boston so I had my travel agent (Kathy) book an in and out for yesterday.

The flight in was uneventful and I made the journey to the rental car place. There was a nice, older woman behind the counter.

“Good morning, handsome,” she said.

I turned to look behind me.

“No, you!” She said, with a laugh. “Anyone ever tell you that you look like someone?”

I didn’t know what the hell she was talking about so I just kinda’ made a noise.

She got to work at booking my vehicle.

“Gotta’ find you a car,” she said.

I thought about the episode of ‘Seinfeld’ where he says, “You know how to take a reservation. You don’t know how to make one.”

Thankfully, the wait wasn’t too long.

She pushed the paperwork to me.

“I got you a Jaguar,” she said.

“Huh?”

“Be careful, good-looking. It’s a beauty.”

The woman was obviously a whack job, but she gave me a Jaguar!

I had a grand total of 8 miles to cover, and I was a tad concerned as I was going to a construction site!

Yet, there was a nice paved parking lot across from the job. I pulled in and walked across the street. I met with the foreman in his trailer and we discussed the job and the stupid Red Sux and the Patriots super bowl win.

Then he took me to the window of the trailer across the street from where I had parked.

“Look at that car,” he said, pointing to my rental.

I laughed and told him the story.

“Let me take it,” he said. “I’ll bring it back in an hour.”

“Not happening,” I said.

I didn’t drive it much either.

“How was it?” The guy asked when I returned it.

“It’s pretty nice.”

I checked my receipt.

She’d only charged me $60.00

I guess the moral of the story is that either it pays to be “handsome”, or it helps to get a whack job at the rental counter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie