Game Seven!

I'll never forget the moment when Luis Gonzalez bloop landed at the edge of the infield dirt allowing the Arizona Diamondbacks to beat Mariano Rivera and the Yankees in 2001.

I'll also never forget the sentence I said right before that happened.

"Why the hell does Torre have the infield in?"

That game ended late - the morning of when Jake was about to undergo an operation that would save his life.

Was I sad?

I wanted the Yankees to win their fourth in a row, of course, but given what we had to go through the next day...

...it allowed me to understand that sports is simply an amusement and not all that important.

Tell that to the guy who paid $19,800 per ticket for the chance to see the Indians and the Cubs play Game 7!

 Grand per ticket!!!!

First off, I love the Yankees...I love Bruce...

...I would never pay a thousand dollars to see either.

My father-in-law stopped by the house on Wednesday morning.

"Are you nervous?" I asked.

My father-in-law saw the Indians win in 1948.

He's been waiting for another one ever since.

He's watched thousands and thousands of innings.

"I'm happy they've made it this far," he said.

No he isn't!

The worst I ever felt after a sporting event was when the Bills lost to the Giants in the Norwide game.

I could barely pick my head up that day.

As the preparations began for Cubs-Indians on Wednesday I didn't think much about the fans of the winning team.

Losing hurts more than winning feels good.

Thank God I didn't have a dog in the fight.

But I'd be remiss if I didn't say it:

Baseball is the greatest game ever invented!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie