Boston is Beautiful


My beautiful wife is a bit leisurely in the morning. As we all know, I'm a bit of a nut bag. We both understand that. Things work out most of the time because we don't spend the casual, on her hand, mornings together. I get up and get out and she relaxes with a coffee and a cigarette.


We had a full day planned in Boston the morning after the concert. My only agenda was a great Italian meal somewhere and to see a bit of the city. We hit the ground crawling. The day started like this:

Coffee
Cigarette
Coffee
Shower
Cigarette
Coffee

Then Kathy was struck with an idea. We'd take that above shuttle to the airport and leave our bags so we didn't have to carry them around all day, and more importantly so we wouldn't have to swing by the hotel to pick them up on the way back. To be fair, I thought it was a good idea. I went along with it as well because I'm not allowed to make decisions that have anything to do with fixing something or directions.

One problem:

You can't check a bag more than 4 hours before a flight. So, the next three hours went like this.

Cigarette and coffee as we waited for the shuttle to the airport.
At the airport the bad news was broken.
Call the shuttle to take the bags back to the hotel.
Wait for the shuttle to take us back.
Cigarette break!
Shuttle arrives.
Back to hotel.
Dropped bags.
Coffee!
Miss shuttle back to subway!!
Another coffee!
We sit down on the shuttle!!!


I get a text.

"Are you having fun yet?" Kathy asked.

That's when it hits me.

I'm Steve Martin and she's John Candy in Planes Trains and Automobiles.

I'm DeNiro and she's Charles Grodin in Midnight Run.

We finally break above ground as the Subway lets us off in the North End. I start walking and looking around.

"What's the hurry?" my beautiful wife asks. "Let's sit for a minute. I need a cigarette. Isn't this a pretty city?"

Thankfully we made it home on time.

Thankfully she made it home at all.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Cliffie- Thanks for the great laugh. You two are so comical, I love it!! Keep it up. Beth

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty