30 Years Burning Down the Road...

...nowhere to run, ain't got nowhere to go.

I went to my high school Alumni gathering on Friday night, and I had a great time. The thing that always strikes me about not seeing someone is that you are essentially picking up the conversation where you left off. What you shared with them back then is what you end up sharing with them again.

The same mannerisms, the same smiles, the same likes and dislikes.

And it's as if time stood still.

But it didn't, of course. The hair is grayer. There are definitely a few pouches, but other than that.

We laughed about the girls we liked back then. We cringed at the girls who didn't really like us back. We wondered where he is these days, or what happened to her.

Late in the evening a classmate...the girl I took to the junior prom, actually - Kris (who still looked great)...broke out the senior yearbook.

I read what I wrote to her all those years ago.

I was a funny guy.

Yet the passage of time is real confusing when you're back in the swing of a conversation with someone.

"So how have you been?"

Is a pretty lame question.

30 years have passed.

Children have been born and raised. Parents, friends and brothers and lovers have passed away. Wives have been cast aside, husbands have been left on the side of the road.

Everyone has a story. Every person is living a distinct, loving, hopeful, happy life...I really hope so.

And midway through the night I looked at an old chum.

Back in school this guy was quick with the wit, sarcastic, an enemy to authority, and mad at some of his own life circumstances. All in all a great guy though.

And now?

He's quick with the wit, sarcastic, happy and a proud Dad. He doesn't have a problem with authority anymore. He found his way.

And it was just so good to see him, and so many others.

The years gone past seemed like one long day.

There are a lot of photos coming soon.

I tried to suck in my gut on every single one.

Do you think I'll still look like that bushy-haired, skinny, sarcastic, wise-ass guy from 1982?

I'm closer to being him than you might think.

Comments

Anonymous said…
wow gold
wow gold
[url=http://buywowgold.ru/]wow gold[/url]

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty