All that I Am

I'm sort of fortunate that I have a job where I get the hell out of dodge every now and again.

It's actually good for all of us. The kids tell me that when I'm gone all they do is weep, but I think they relax a bit. The same goes for my beautiful wife. It's actually just the dogs who really, really feel like crying.

And I think of my trips out in context of a Bruce line...I'm out in the desert just doing my time.

I'm allowed to think a little.

I also listen to a lot of music, and that enhances my mood.

As I drove on this particular trip my I-pod was good to me. A few songs, in particular, drove my mood.

Mellencamp's This Time was the first one that brought a smile to my face.

You know it: This time, I really think I'm in love, in love.

The smile bringing line was the one that reminded me of Kathy and our early relationship:

"You were too smart to believe all the dark lines and I was too dumb to know what I started."

It still applies.

Then I was treated to one of the Sinatra songs and it, of course, brought thoughts of Dad.

You Will Be My Music.

Just a beautiful song with probably the greatest vocal I've ever heard. It also brought a smile because I thought of Dad singing it to my Mom. And it occurred to me that all that I am is a composite of all that I love, and who I've loved.

Next?

There had to be some Bruce, right.

Working On a Dream

I played it twice. Just a brilliant song. The bottom line. Life is tough and I'm trying hard to stay focused and sometimes it seems so far away. Beautiful, brilliant, reminds me of why I battle through. The dream is always within my grasp because of all that I am and all who helped me get there.

And then I heard a song from Benjamin Orr of The Cars. You remember him?

Stay the Night


Orr released a solo album on break from The Cars. I may be the only guy outside of the Orr family who bought it...and it's great.

Yet it wasn't the music that got me today. It was the fact that Orr died tragically young from a nasty cancer.

As he sang I kept thinking that no one is immune.

And it occurred to me that we need to keep working on the dream with the ones we love, singing songs for them, thinking about them, and putting their needs ahead of our own.

It's what we sign up for.

I couldn't wait to get home after my time in the desert.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie