What Are We Doing?



For the past few months I have been going down to the hockey arena in town as the Sabres redo their locker rooms. Today, I made the mistake of heading down there as the men who are paid like kings for shooting rubber at a net were about to practice.

Of course the lot was filled with hundred thousand dollar vehicles. The security guard, who knew me by face, reminded me to stick to the job site and not bother the players. I headed thru the door and ran smack into Ryan Miller, the highly paid guy who blocks pucks with his body for millions, and the owner of the team, Terry Pegula who made his billions in the fracking business.

I shrugged by. I met up with a worker.

"They blocked off our access," the bricklayer said. "Pisses me off. Their lockers are nicer then my house and after placing block here for two months I'm not allowed to lock eyes with them."

What are we doing?

"Son-of-a-bitches are ashamed of us. They don't want the players to see the workers. God help them if they had to say hello. I passed one of them in the hall and said hello and he looked away. Assholes."

And about four blocks away I saw a bunch of houses all barricaded. A trip around the city will show you hundreds of such places. The City Mission, about nine blocks away, is begging for donations. We can't look in the eyes of the hockey players, but we can step over the men laying in the street?

The owner of the Bills is back in the news saying that he will extend the lease if the county ponies up. Try and say something negative about the Bills, a team that has done nothing for 12 years, and people think you're the anti-Christ.

The television crews, from all three local stations were in front of the arena. They were interviewing some of the thousands of fans, dressed in Sabres gear. I'm sure it will top the news.

Earlier this year I attended a breast cancer walk. Volunteers raised thousands of dollars, working hard, spending their own money to make it work...the news stations were there.

They never aired the footage.

Seriously.

What in the hell are we doing?

Comments

deafjeff said…
put this on facebook.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie