Ten Years Burning Down the Road

...Got nowhere to run...nowhere to go.

It's my favorite lyric from Born in the USA, a song that I usually skip on the I-pod because it was overplayed.

Yet I thought of that lyric a lot the last few days. First of all because I read a lot and watched a lot about the terror attacks of ten years ago.

Possibly because in 2001 we also had a life-threatening tumor growing inside of our son.

2001 was the year when it all changed. Everything.

Over the weekend I played my boys in Madden. I am in rough shape when it comes to games these days because I don't pick up a controller very often and they pick them up every three minutes. So I need an advantage.

I was the Patriots at home and they were the Bills. Sam played the first and third quarters and Jake had the second and fourth.

I beat them 28 to 24.

The big lugs that were just little boys when the towers came down were pissed.

Cut to this morning, I headed into a convenience store and there was a WWE Magazine on the stands. My mind played a trick and I glanced at it for a long while.

My kids don't watch wrestling anymore.

Those days are gone.

And I got to thinking about ten years from now. If all goes according to planned it will be just me, my beautiful wife, and Matt living here.

(Matt will have finished college and he'll be home again).

Just kidding.

It may be just me and Kathy. Just ten years.

And the bulk of what happens to you happens in just a couple of decades. All the pain, all the laughter, the wrestling matches the games of Madden...such a short span of time, really. All taken care of in about 7,500 days.

It's not a depressing thought, mind you, but I am guessing along with Bruce here.

Ten years burning down the road, nowehere to run, nowhere to go.

Don't waste a day, huh?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie