Choices, Choices, So Many Choices

The choices we make and the chances we take determine our destiny.

Caught an old movie the other night with Marissa Tormei (she's no Kathy Fazzolari) and Robert Downey Jr. where Marissa ignores the love that is budding between them so that she can chase down the man who's she supposed to marry. She only has his name. She thinks that he is her destiny.

And it got me thinking a lot about choices. Perhaps because I was in Erie the other day. I easily could have stayed there.

After school I went to California. I could have stayed there (although there are a lot of nutty people out there).

On to Maryland and I definitely wanted to stay there. Or in Connecticut. What would have happened had I stayed there?

Movies are cool because all of the choices are in front of the stars and easy for the audience to see and once the choice is made and the credits roll we are all supposed to assume that it is happily ever after.

Nobody ever does the sequel in which Marissa and Robert Downey fight like cats and dogs after they're married because he is really an asshole and she was nothing but a gold-digging nitwit.

And there are choices to make each and every day in the way we speak to our loved ones and how we go about handling the inevitable tragedies that will beset us.

I spend a lot of time talking to myself about the choices that need to be made and of course, I choose to do that only because mine is the only answer that I will ever truly accept.

But I don't think much about the choices that I made in the past...I am where I am. Dreaming of the person that you want to be allows you to shortchange the person that you already are.

And the bad choices?

Takes time, but we break them down, accept them, chalk them up as a learning experience and move on, right?

If you ask me, your answer to that last question is what truly matters because if you don't handle the bad choices as carefully as you contemplate and congratulate yourself on the good ones, you're kind of screwed.

Today I have a few choices:

I can watch the Bills second game of the year or the 27-time World Champion Yankees 152nd game out of 162.

I can go with the bite-size rigatoni or the linguini.

I can yell at my kids, or hang with them.

I can help out around the house or blame everyone else for not getting shit done.

I can drink beer and wake up tired tomorrow, or I can rest and wake up happy and healthy.

Want the answers?

Yankees, rigatoni, hang with 'em, and help out, no beer.

All solid choices.

I hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty