Adrift on This Ocean

I was behind an elderly woman who was driving at a 28 mph pace in a 45 mph zone. She put her turn signal on about eight miles before she actually turned, and then her turn was in slow motion.

We've all been there, right?

And I thought of something that happened to someone who I knew in college. Someone in his family had been killed when he was passing under an overpass where a car had come flying down. I remember thinking, 'Man, if he'd just stopped for gas, it wouldn't have happened to him.'

And some times we want to rush through things.

Coincidentally The Stones were playing in my car as the old woman worked her way through the turn.

"You aren't the only ship adrift on this ocean," Mick scolded.

Indeed.

It's easy to force our own agenda down other people's throats. I do it all the time. I need things done in my time frame and in my expectation of how long it should take.

All of the anxiety of life seems to be in chasing that time frame.

It's funny, but I have the dogs on my schedule. We all get confused when things don't go as they had the day before. Melky hits the head as soon as she gets out of bed. That's where she has her breakfast. If she isn't in the car ten minutes later, she throws a bit of a fit.

I gather my cereal bowl and my cup of coffee and like Sheldon in the Big Bang Show, I have to sit on the same spot on the couch as I catch SportsCenter. If someone is in my spot.

I throw a bit of a fit.

The old woman worked her way up the steps to the salon. I got to watch her approach because her eternal turn made me sit at the red light. Had she been seconds quicker, I would have made the light.

And perhaps something would have fallen off the overpass and crushed me.

If I could just remember, day after day, and minute after minute, that it's not just my shift adrift on this wide ocean, I might just be all right.

But that's not how the world works, is it?

Hopefully I got this blog post out in time for all of you that are used to reading it at the usual time.

If not...just hang on a minute.

It'll come around eventually.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie