Do Something Nice

Early on in my writing career I often found myself flabbergasted by the way the world worked. I can remember sitting in my parents basement, next to the hot water tank, typing on my bright green screen about world peace.

That's the way it goes when you're 18 or 19 and no one can tell you anything. You can believe that peace is possible if we all swear to it happening.

I remember writing something about how the president should declare a day to be murder-free.

Wouldn't that be cool? One whole day without murdering someone. I am pretty sure that I could get through it.

I am also very certain that collectively we can't. Somewhere out there, today, someone is going to purposely kill somebody else.

A cheating wife. A business partner. An in-law, an outlaw, a drug dealer, a man who doesn't believe in the same God you do. A fight over land, or money, or drugs, or a parking spot, or a seat on the bus.

There will be more than one murder.

And I think back to what I wrote the day after the 9/11 attacks. It was a letter to the editor that was published in the USA Today, the Buffalo News, and the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

A letter that I wrote right here, in the same spot I am right now. A letter that didn't scream for mercy, but screamed for individual peace.

Peace within your own heart.

God help us if there are more attacks like that one ten years ago. Collectively, hopefully, we have put a stop to it. Individually, hopefully, you've found a little peace.

I'm not naive enough to believe that I can declare a day to be murder-free and that it might happen. It'd be nice, for sure, but it just isn't practical.

Not enough people willing to do something nice today.

I'm gonna' give it a helluva' shot. In memory of all those who are gone.

Maybe I'm still a little innocent and hopeful...

...but it sure the hell beats having hate in my heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie