You Think Greece Would Help?

Growing up, I can't ever remember my father being too concerned about world politics. I do recall the day when Nixon resigned and listening to it on the radio with him. I remember that he was a little troubled and that I asked him about how the world would be when I grew up.

"If we're still here," he said, or somtheing to that effect, and I can remember that I was scared out of my mind.

Yet we were at war; the president had just resigned; gas prices were through the roof; we'd just survived the crazy ass drug world of the 60's.

There wasn't much more out of my father in regard to arguing world politics although I knew his political party and who he really disliked.

Yet his one contribution to the world across the ocean was the single joke he liked to tell in political arguments to calm everyone down.

"If Iran attacked Turkey from the rear, do you think Greece will help?"

I thought of that joke this morning when I saw that Iran was getting ready to sell uranium to Turkey.

Now I know it's not a laughing matter and that I should read up on the argument, but lately I've been feeling a little like Dear Old Dad when it comes to world politics.

Getting worked up about it isn't going to change much. Arguing with people who see things from a different point-of-view isn't all that productive.

If someone argues with me that Sarah Palin is great, I'm not going to suddenly change my mind. My argument that she is an intellectual zero isn't going to change someone's mind who thinks she's the right person to lead America.

So, you see, it doesn't really matter. We are all better off laughing about it to a certain extent.

Believe in change, do what we can and tell a few jokes about it.

Personally, I think Greece would help.

Comments

D. A. Rupprecht said…
Not likely! Greece and Turkey have been at odds for centuries while Turkey and Iran have a common religion. Doubt Iran would attack them anyway. But, as you say, what's the use in arguing? Better to tell a few jokes! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie