The Greatest Fear

Reading about Michael Douglas and the fact that he is sad because his son has finally been sentenced to prison, and as a father, I certainly feel the pain.

There is so much to worry about in life, but as I watch my kids grow, I seriously hope that we have been able to guide them enough to keep them from hearing the line, "Will the defendant please rise."

I don't know, but I think back to the days of their births, and I remember considering that the possibilities afforded them in this life were endless. They were born in the greatest country in the world, to loving parents with a shared vision of responsibility.

Still...

You aren't a parent unless you think about the horrid possibilities that also lie ahead. There are temptations at every turn. I want to believe that our children will spend every day just trying their best to make sure that we are proud of them.

But...

I had moments in my adolescence when I'm sure my parents may not have been so prideful of my actions. Nothing horribly regretful as being sentenced to prison for five years like Michael Douglas' kid, but a few things that may have made them cringe.

It all comes to mind because Jake became a member of a Facebook group with the "F" word in the title.

"You don't want to put your name on groups like that," Kathy and I both told him.

"I didn't invent the group," he said. "What's the big deal?"

"Because it's your name," I said. "You don't ever want to assign your name to something you aren't proud of."

Jake shrugged, but he got the emphatic message.

You should work all your life not to tarnish your name - I'm sure Michael Douglas would agree.

Comments

Donna Perugini said…
I just did a blog posting, "Facebook and Your Teens Privacy" on almost the same issue.

You're putting your name on the 'Like' button everytime you use it. It's also like a stamp of approval.

My young teen granddaughter clicked 'like' on a friend's photo that was 'in poor taste'. It was shot to all her friends which included adults she admires, teachers,and her grandparents....in other words, all her 'Friends'. I imagine a lot of the people think she's the one that took the picture and posted it if they don't know about the Facebook changes.

When anyone clicks 'Like' now, everyone knows. My next posting is on how to use your Privacy Settings, etc. on Facebook.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie