Sifting Through the Dust...

...of fools gold and looking for a sign.

People pay an awful lot of money to vacation in this type of weather. I haven't spent much more then green fees and so far, so great.

My idea for the break was to get as far away from my normal, messed up thinking. No routines, no Howard, do whatever comes naturally sort of. Just relax!

Today I headed to my parents home and helped out around their massive, beautiful yard. It's a lot for them to keep up with, and despite my basic ineptness, I can do a few things. I helped put away the pool cover, put up the screen for the garage, cleaned the garage, raked the yard, and put some things away. All good work, but the heat was a killer. Got a real bonus going to lunch with my mother and having an expertly cooked burger that was the size of the cook's head. (And that's a big head).

I headed for home thinking of an ice cold beer, but the backyard was annoying me so I mowed it in the scorching sun. Now the beer wasn't an option but a necessity. I put the I-pod on, stretched out in a chair, removed my shirt (calm down ladies) and called in my order. Sam answered on the first ring.

"Where are you?" he asked.
"In the backyard. Bring me a beer, and bring some water for the dogs."

Minutes later, Bruce singing in my ear, the perfect blue sky above. I sipped the beer and watched the dogs playing in the yard. Birds flew overhead, and the trees moved in the breeze. I watched each bird cross the brilliant sky, just thinking of life. And Bruce sang.

I was out in the desert just doing my time, sifting through the dust of fool's gold and looking for a sign. Holy man said, 'Hold on, brother, there's a light up ahead.

"Hold on brother," I whispered.

My beer was empty.

I called the waiter again. Different waiter - Matthew - same result. "Where are you?"

"Backyard. Beer me." So relaxed.

This time I was delivered a pan that I normally boil water in for the pasta. There were three Labatt Blue's buried in ice.

"Saves time," Matt said.
"Perfect."

From Bruce to Mellencamp to Neil Young to Jackson Browne, 10,000 Maniacs to the Stones and back on through.

Birds overhead, dogs checking in, sun beating down.

Kathy opened the window a floor above me. "What're you doing?"

"Relaxing with my shirt off," I said.

"Oh, it's all I can do to not jump out the window to get near you," she said.

My wife is funny.

...didn't figure out anything, but enjoyed the sifting process.

Comments

I think you should just leave the phone in the house and call the kids the way dad did:
"AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrryoriohfffffff"

Nobody knew who the hell he was calling, but one of us always showed up.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie