Rode Hard...Put Away Wet

One of my college buddies always has loved saying that about a particular type of girl. Over and over, I'd hear him utter the phrase and he'd always laugh after he finished saying it.

I thought about it this morning when I struggled to get up out of bed. My bones were aching a little from four rounds of golf in 7 days. Then again, that's a lot of swings.

Yet what really brought it to mind was because I shared dinner with my buddy, his wife and their beautiful family. 2/5ths of the beautiful family is a set of twins who are just four years old.

"I'm almost five," the beautiful girl said. "Soon, I'll be five real soon."

"And then you'll be twenty-five and then you'll be forty-five, just like that," I said.

My buddy laughed. "Wait a minute," he said.

And wait a minute is right. The energy of two young children is certainly contagious. The grace and curiosity that they deliver to every setting is invigorating. I'd forgotten about that type of energy as my own children are on their way to be ridden hard. Or so they think.

Yet the buzz around the dinner table was tangible. It was something you could hold close with both hands and wrap around your heart. There were no thoughts as to 'I shouldn't do this, or I can't act like that.'

The children were experts at behaving, mind you, and they ate their dinners like a couple of truck drivers, but the excitement in their eyes was a well-timed treat.

So, as I put my aching legs on the floor this morning I was buoyed a bit by the excitement that these kids showed in just being alive, feeling secure in their own skin, and the smiles that they brought to the table. Grace. A pure, shining example of grace.

The checklist of items that needed to be done worked its way through my mind. Is it possible to get a bounce back in the step when you feel like you should be sequestered in the barn.

It's been a relaxing week. I've been rode hard, but seeing the life in those dazzling sets of eyes, it feels as if someone took their time in putting me away properly.

Comments

Terry87 said…
And to top it all off? A great win by the Twins. (Hope you started Kubel. He saves his best for the Yankees. Sorry)
Kind words, buddy. Great time by us too. See you soon.
Oh cool, you saw Terry? I was trying to figure out who it was... glad to hear it. Good guy, that Terry is!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie