The Ironworker

You know, I often play a tough guy in my writing, but I'm not really one. I know that comes as something of a shock to those who have followed along in my books or on the blog. Yes, I'm something of a wussy.

It all comes to light because this morning I ran into a steel erector on the first job I visited this morning. He connects iron in the air, is always dirty, is as strong as an ox, and is frankly a little terrifying to approach if his mood is off.

Of course, I grew up in the construction field so I know that deep down he's just a tough guy who wants nothing more than to earn a fair wage for decent work, drink a few beers, and hang with his family. A true American.

One time he was across from me at the volleyball net and we both went up to spike the ball - I got his elbow and the vinyl of the ball imprinted on my face. As I lay on the ground he stood over me. "Don't try and block it if you can't get it done," he said.

Anyway, I did an audit of his work this morning and our conversation was interrupted by one of his workers. The kid was late arriving on the job, and being tardy simply isn't an option in the world of the big, burly ironworker.

"Sorry," the kid stuttered. "I had a bad night last night. My girlfriend left the kid off, and he was sick, and the car wouldn't start this morning."

"Did I ask you for your life story?" the ironworker boss asked. "Now you wasted two more minutes."

The kid was sort of shocked...and terrified.

"I get it, life sucks," the ironworker said. "But I don't give a shit. Get on with it."

I laughed. "You should print that onto a postcard," I said.

"I'd like to tattoo it on my forehead," he answered. "That way people wouldn't piss and moan to me. I get it. Life &*$@ing sucks."

I headed back to my car.

"Hey. Cliff, it was good seeing you," the ironworker called out. "Everything going all right?"

"Everything is fine," I called back.

Not really sure he wanted to know if it wasn't.

And that's okay with me.

I just ain't playing volleyball against him again.

Comments

deafjeff said…
Yeah but you're the GOOD kind of wussy.
For some reason, I find myself attracted to the ironworker. Could it be that I saw Iron Man 2 this weekend, or that I just agree with his profound statement that life #%*($%^(# sucks? Hmmmm....

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie