Are You Being Good?

One of the first recollections I have of being alive was entering the kitchen of our home at the age of three or four, standing by the fridge with my arms folded.

I'd been having a battle with one of my siblings and I needed to get away. I stood there, silently, as my mother worked.

"Are you being good?" she asked.

I remember being put off by the question. I felt like answering, "I'm fine but those other bastards you spawned are pure evil."

I was a little like Stewie Griffin. Of course, I didn't answer at all, I stood there on the verge of tears, waiting on a little comfort.

"You're a good boy," my mother said.

Four simple words,and 41 or 42 years later I can recall how uplifting they had been, and I think of that moment every single Mother's Day because I've always had that sort of relationship with my Mom. I always wanted to be good in her eyes.

I see a real special bond between my wife and the boys as well. I know that they get on her from time-to-time, but there's a true sense of wanting to do well - for Mom. As the years pass, I know that the boys appreciation for the mother will grow.

Which is why this is an important day. Mothers should be honored for all that they do. I understand that there is a Father's Day as well, but it isn't the same, is it? A mother's standing in the family unit is reserved for the sort of worship garnered only by popes, or kings, or Hollywood stars.

At Mass this morning the priest asked each mother to stand for a round of applause. A nice gesture to be sure. I clapped my hands as my own mother's voice ran through my heart and mind.

"Are you being good?"

I'm certainly trying.

Happy Mother's Day to all out there in blog land.

Your influence is far reaching indeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie