Don't Bug Him, He's Sleeping!

Ken Griffey Jr. is one of the best baseball players I've ever seen. Of course, I don't really like him because he raced home to knock the Yanks out of the playoffs in '95, and he was the first guy to wear his cap backwards - I still get aggravated when I see my kids wearing their hats with the bill to the back.

What else?

Oh yeah, I saw an interview with him where he explained that he spent 10 grand on a pair of sunglasses. What could possibly be on a pair of sunglasses that would make you want to spend ten grand? And wouldn't that be a bitch when you sat on them in the car?

Anyway...

Griffey made news this week because he was supposedly asleep in the clubhouse and was unavailable to pinch hit. Poor guy. He was beat. He's in his 40's now - I know how difficult it is to stay up past nine.

But really? Sleeping during the game?

Griffey has made about $100 million dollars. He has to stay awake for approximately three hours a day. Even if he flies into a city in the middle of the night, he can sleep until two in the afternoon if need be. A dish of pasta, a couple of cups of coffee, shag some fly balls, and you should be able to keep your eyes open until the last out is recorded, right?

I don't know - maybe it's just a job for those guys - especially when you've been doing it for twenty years like Griffey has been.

Then again, I get up by 5:30 most days, and I can handle watching the Yankee game on televsion until 11:00 without a nap.

And I'm older than Griffey.

And about a hundred million behind him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie