Things We Lost in the Fire

Last night we were all watching the Yankee game, with our little phones going a mile-a-minute as we kept track of the out-of-town scores, the hockey playoff game, and a few new Apps that we found.

Isn't it funny? Six months ago we didn't know what an App was and now we're racing to see who gets the best ones.

Anyway, Sam found a Family Guy trivia game and he was reading me question after question, laughing his way through it - a very healthy, all-consuming kid giggle. Kathy and I were listening and laughing right along with his giddiness and glee.

As I laughed, I thought of my own childhood and the unbelievable laughter that shook my body on any given day. We were all funny. We were all having a good time. Life was grand.

And it led me into thinking to a movie I saw a few years ago - Things We Lost in the Fire - it starred Halle Berry and that hispanic actor that's really good - Del Torro? - anyway, truth be told, I got the movie on the off chance that Halle Berry might get naked, but I enjoyed it because it was really well-written, well-directed, and well-acted.

It was a story of grief, and battling through. It was not a real pick-me-up, but going to the dark spots sometimes serves as a boost, doesn't it? Strange how that works.

So, there I sat, listening to the sounds of Sam's laughter. Remembering my own laughter. Thinking of a depressing movie, and things lost.

But it occurred to me somewhere in there that things don't stay lost, you know? The laughter is still trapped inside there somewhere. The absolute glee of mis-reading a question, or the sharing with your family members, or the security of knowing that, as a child you're cared for and loved - it's all in there, and there isn't a fire known that can burn it down.

When I woke this morning, the birds were singing, the hole in my heart was humming, and Sam's laughter was echoing in my ears.

Singing birds, wonderful memories, and giddy children.

I may have lost the idea that life is grand, but it doesn't always have to suck, does it?

Now if only Halle Berry had dis-robed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie