Rock & Roll

We watched “My Life as a Rolling Stone”, the 4-part series about, well, The Rolling Stones.

Everyone who knows me understands that I have been a Stones fan for better than 45 years.

I was in my glory as they went through episodes for Mick, Keith, Ronny & Charlie.

Sang out loud when they played ‘Rocks Off’ and ‘Tumbling Dice’ and I was back in the stadium in ‘81, ‘89 and ‘15 when I saw them live.

Just a remarkable band and their artistry struck me as I watched them discuss all the fame, drugs, personal problems, and tours.

The music was what was most important to them.

And then…

…we finally got around to the Elvis movie (which was so well done - the guy playing Elvis should win an award) - but when it was over…

…I was so sad for him.

He was a kind-hearted man who was destroyed by hangers-on and people who abused him.

And dead at 42!

Just a young man!

Seeing all those ‘stars’ one after another made me realize that even people who we THINK have it all…

…still can self-destruct.

Keith Richards did all those drugs because he was truly shy and hated fame.

Charlie Watts got hooked on heroin because he admired jazz musicians who performed high.

Mick had all sorts of troubles with women, and dabbled in drugs too. He had to tamp down the ego that comes with being a global icon.

Elvis had to as well.

He simply couldn’t do it.

He died broke and lonely and on the toilet.

And I was struck by something Mick said as a throw-away line when discussing the intricacies of battling with his band mate and partner, Keith.

“You take the rough with the smooth.”

That was it.

Was all he said by way of explanation.

I remarked to Kathy:

“I like that. Easy enough.”

“You take the rough with the smooth.”

A good daily mantra!

Rock & Roll!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie