Labor Day Weekend

My brother invited us for ribs yesterday and sent us home with enough leftovers to eat ribs for the next week or so.

On the drive down I noticed that it was 86 degrees so summer hasn’t left the scene yet.

But I’m starting to dread the change in seasons because I’ve lived here long enough to know what’s coming.

Yet, I’ve always enjoyed Labor Day and taking a day off during a typically busy time of the year.

There should be more days off scattered throughout the year because the beat just seems to go on and on and on and on.

It’s been 44 years of labor so far for me.

That’s a whole bunch of hours at work, and I’ve often thought about how there seems to be a shift in how young workers want to be treated now.

Back when I first got a job I was aware that I needed to do whatever the boss said.

I never asked about breaks or vacation or for more pay.

These days it seems that workers want to be stimulated and praised.

I have spoken to a lot of contractors and they all say the same thing:

“It’s different now. A lot of workers are not concerned about missing a day here or there.”

One guy explained that they hired a worker on Monday, and he had done a decent job.

“Nothing earth-shattering, but he was on time and he was a competent worker. I was disappointed that he didn’t show up on Tuesday and that he didn’t even call in. When he wasn’t there on Wednesday I figured that he had quit, but boom, he walked on in on Thursday. I asked him what happened and he said, ‘I didn’t feel like coming in.’”

That’s definitely different from when we were all starting our careers.

“What happened with the kid?” I asked the boss.

“Had to keep him. We’re short on people.”

And there’s a new concept where workers are doing the bare minimum, and have given up working overtime or through breaks.

I had a boss who sent me out of town on December 19th. When I asked him about Christmas he said, “Christmas is canceled this year.”

I don’t know what to think about any of it.

I’m kind of happy for the new workers who aren’t being taken advantage of.

I also still feel guilty whenever I don’t do way more than I should do on any given day.

Ah well.

These times they are a changing.

Either way.

Enjoy the weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie