Super Bowl Sunday

The NFL owns Sunday from September through February.

I would consider myself to be a casual fan of the sport after once being a rabid fanatic of the Bills.

Of course those 4 Super Bowls back in the 90’s are forever ingrained in my mind and the Bills lost them all.

Usually I have a rooting interest in the game. For instance, last year I wanted Tompa to win and they pounded the Chiefs.

Through the 2000’s I rooted for New England every time, but thinking about past Super Bowls (not including the Bills as participants, these are the ones I recall easily:

1). 49ers over the Dolphins - it was Marino’s first year and only Bowl appearance. The Niners won big. I remember the game because we were snowed in at college. 

What a freaking party!

2). Raiders over Eagles - 1980 - the Barking Lions were all together at Russ’ house. The game was another weak one, but I certainly loved that party.

3). Patriots over Panthers - won $3,000 on a square. We had bought all of our squares but my brother Jeff called to tell me that there was one square left at the gas station.

“I’d buy it, but I’m financially embarrassed.”

“We have enough,” I said.

“Okay, but that’s the winner.”

I went down and grabbed the square.

“Our numbers for that square are 2 & 9,” I said.

“Perfect,” he answered.

The final score was 32-29.

4). Pats over Falcons after being down 28-3

 My Tom Brady fandom was taking a freaking beating as the Pats fell down by 25.

I left the room because my kids were hammering me.

“Don’t leave,” Sam said. “You know Brady is going to pull this out.”

“Even I’m not that stupid,” I said.

Turned out I was.

5). New England over Seattle

How do you not run Marshawn Lynch from the half-yard line?

Was the worst coaching decision I’d ever seen until the Bills - who should be playing and winning the super bowl today - decided not to play defense with 13 seconds left.

What do we have planned?

Not much.

We aren’t rooting for anyone.

I know the square I need to hit so let’s predict the score with that in mind:

Rams 34

Bengals 19

That would make me really, really, really happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie