Halftime Show

I wanted to not be an old guy who was shouting “Get off my lawn” during the halftime show.

Who doesn’t smile when you see Snoop?

He’s a cool guy.

But I was watching with my 21-year-old son who knew who everyone was.

“I don’t understand what they’re singing,” I said.

And that was my main problem with it all. I know Kendrick Lamar and Eminem.

Couldn’t understand a word.

But here’s the thing:

I wanted it to be a polarizing show for the people who are of the ‘get off my lawn’ crowd.

Eminem knelt down. The NFL had asked him not to. That was going to guarantee that he did.

The halftime show is a tough gig for anyone.

The Stones were good, I thought The Who, Bruce, Tom Petty and McCartney were all good…

…but here’s the thing…

…that’s the music I like!

I didn’t care for the halftime show this year because I didn’t recognize any of it.

It didn’t bother me either.

It most certainly bothered other people, and only because it was a show by black men and women.

Those are absolutely entertaining comments for me to wade through.

When it was over, Kathy wondered about Kendrick Lamar.

“I have some of his songs,” I said.

“That guy? Singing rap?”

I put the song “I” on for her.

Sam was impressed.

“It’s not horrible,” Kathy said.

And the discussion will continue.

“Best show ever!”

“Worst thing I’ve ever seen.”

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Not sure who is up next.

But there will be a clear division…

…because that’s how America rolls.

The Divided States of America.

Oh.

I didn’t win a square.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie