Last Run of Baltimore Sun

I lived in Baltimore for 10 months. 

It was the best summer of my life. Hung around the pool where a beautiful life guard hung out. Played tennis everyday. Ate like a king. Drank like a Viking. Went to 40 Orioles games.

And read the Baltimore Sun every single day.

I had it delivered and didn’t do much before I read it from cover to cover.

On Monday I stumbled across the news story that spoke of the “Last Run of the Baltimore Sun.”

Saddens me.

The thing is, I recently stopped buying the Buffalo News on a daily basis because the price went up 100%.

And I get it.

People aren’t buying the paper anymore.

Everything is right there on the phone.

We all get alerts the instant something happens.

A daily newspaper can’t compete with the instant news.

But the Tom Brady retirement fiasco highlights the problem of instant news.

We still aren’t sure if he is actually retiring, but every major outlet is reporting it.

A newspaper writer had time to break down a story. There were always great columnists writing their opinions down.

There are people writing sourced columns these days as well, but no one is holding up the paper in a diner to read it.

Time moves on.

Newspapers couldn’t keep up.

There’s a grand old photo of a subway train showing everyone holding up a paper.

Back then there was a whole lot of angst about newspapers causing the end of face to face interactions.

Imagine what writer of that story would think now.

I’ll miss the Baltimore Sun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie