Full Swing

Camp Clifford has been open for awhile.

We had a fairly non-existent spring so I kind of forgot about camp opening up this year, but having a guest camper brought it all front and center.

The regular campers know the rules:

No dishes in the sink.

The television set so I only have to hit one button to turn it on.

Doors locked.

Non-essential lights off.

Simple rules, really, but ones that allow me to relax for a little while before work.

On Tuesday, I was heading for the shower, and I heard noise coming from the living room. It was only 5:30 so I was actually wondering if they were still awake.

They weren’t, but this was what I found:

The television on!

Every light in the house on.

Dirty dishes in the sink and about a half a bottle of hot sauce on the counter...

...not in the bottle.

(Frank’s Red Hot sauce is bright red, especially on the white counter top.

All the doors were unlocked and the back door was actually open.

And finally, the downstairs toilet was clogged.

I did what I could to fix some of it, but I also texted the co-counselor.

It was a strongly worded text that ended with, ‘What the hell is wrong with them?’

Kathy provided a two-word answer:

“Johnny’s here.”

Some ten hours later I returned, and the Camp Clifford Campers were all in the living room, on the couch, watching an episode of ‘Sunny in Philadelphia.’

I nearly forgot how they’d left the campsite.

But they were too quiet.

Then I remembered:

“What the hell happened here last night?”

“I fell asleep,” Sam said, and that explained about half of it as he cleans things up and locks things down.

“And the toilet?”

All three of them started laughing, and Jake & Sam pointed at my nephew, John.

“Too much paper,” he said.

“Did you fix it, moron?”

There was laughter all around.

“What’re we having for dinner,” they all asked at once.

Bah!

Camp usually closes on September 1.

The show ended and they got up.

“Now what?” I asked.

“Nap, dinner, hot tub,” was the general answer.

“Let’s get married and have kids,” she said.

What a nightmare!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie