A Fickle Freaking Game

I had a really rough week last week, but knew that I had a 9:20 tee time on Sunday and the weather report was good.

We all started out well enough, and then on the 4th hole I had a long putt that I needed to get close.

It went in!

Three holes later, I made an even longer one.

Then it got ridiculous.

I knocked it 2 more, really long putts...

...I’m usually a mediocre putter.

We arrived at hole 12.

“I love this one,” I said. “It’s two easy shots to a wide open green.”

Then I proceeded to chunk it.

And the next one.

The one after that wasn’t much better than that.

“What the hell is going on?”

I took a 7 on the par 4.

We have another guy who had either birdies or parred every par 3 for a couple of weeks.

He dribbled a drive on a 165-yard hole.

Tried it again.

Dribble.

We have a long hitter in the group. He can spray it a little. He was lining one up.

“He’s going to clobber this one,” I said.

Just had a feeling.

He hit it and the three of us watching gasped.

It’s a fascinating game.

One little thing gets out of whack and...

...bam.

You’re suddenly scuffling.

We all post pretty similar scores, and are genuinely happy for one another, but I did something weird...

...counted up my score before 18.

“I need to par this to break 90,” I said.

“Stay straight on your drive and follow through,” my cart partner said.

I’d only done that a half dozen times all day.

Hammered it.

145 out.

Hit an 8-iron to the green.

Two putts to finish it.

The first putt was good.

I was now just 3’ away.

“Just have to finish it.”

I’d been putting like a mad man all day, but golf can be cruel.

Everyone else finished.

I was nervous.

Yet, here’s the thing about golf.

It’s a whole lot about technique...

...but confidence may be an even bigger factor.

“It’s in,” I told myself before I brought the club back.

I watched it meet the back of the ball...

...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie