"You Suck!"..."No, You Suck!"

Social media is really nasty sometimes.

If you follow a celebrity on Twitter do yourself a favor and look at one of their posts.

There will be ten people praising them.

And probably twenty people hating on them.

I don't know how you could get through the day if you read all the negative responses.

And some people don't give a crap about how low they go.

Take for instance the story of Hugh Greenwood, a basketball star for UNLV. Greenwood's Mom has breast cancer and she has really suffered. Greenwood has taken up the cause, doing his best to raise money.

Doing what he can to feel like he's helping out his mother in a situation that he just can't control.

This is what Greenwood read on a post that he made regarding his mother's fight:

"The only line being crossed is the line between life and death that your Mom is on."

Any decent human being who reads that is appalled, right?

Any human being who writes that shouldn't be allowed to be called a human being.

It's not funny.

It's not cute.

It's not even well-written.

Yet what is happening here is that Twitter and Facebook has allowed everyone to have a voice.

Even people who can't write a coherent sentence.

Greenwood took the high road. Of course the words hurt him, but he simply called the guy a coward. He said that he knows that it comes with the territory.

But why does it have to?

Where is civility?

Of course I'm active in social media. I try my best not to type a response when I'm angry, or confused and I certainly don't follow people just to hate on them.

(Not since Curt Schilling blocked me...and I didn't even hound him too bad...made one financial joke...and gone!).

Yet Greenwood shouldn't be exposed to that type of hatred...

...and stupidity.

I don't think that the answer is to regulate what is being said...

...but some people really are too stupid to be allowed to have a say.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie