Binge Drinking

It all started with a text from my college buddy, Rosie.

He asked a question about a long ago event and copied two others:

Gag and Fluffy.

So, the four of us went through our memories.

Remember when...

Well, coincidentally the Buffalo News ran a story about a college kid, from Buffalo, who died during a fraternity initiation at West Virginia University.

My heart goes out to the family of that kid.

His B.A.C. was .0493, or there about.

The poor child never had a chance.

In the backdrop of the texts that were going back and forth I thought about my own children. I considered all the really, really, really stupid things that we did.

I was blessed to have great friends.

We watched out for one another.

We did stupid things, but we made sure that we were around the room by the end of the night.

Could there have been a horrific ending for one of us?

Of course.

We saw some really rough things in college.

Girls that had passed out cold.

Kids that were so drunk that they couldn't stand up.

Some kids certainly didn't know when to stop.

There were certainly fraternities that pushed the envelope.

We'd drink beer out of a bong.

We'd play drinking games watching television or shooting pool or just talking.

As a 50-year old man it all seems rather stupid, but I laughed a lot as we texted our way down memory lane.

"I can't remember nothing!" Gag texted at one point.

Yet we made it through.

We drank a lot of beer.

We did stupid things.

We got away with it.

Maybe because we watched one another fairly closely.

Maybe we just got lucky.

I hope I never read another story about a kid drinking to death in an effort to try and fit in.

I pray that those in charge can somehow get on top of this...

...at every school...

...in every state.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie