One Hundred Sixty One to Two


Sam's basketball game was a tad lopsided this weekend.

I think the final score was 85-37, or something awful like that.

Well, that was a virtual nail-biter compared to the 161-2 final score in a girls basketball game in Southern California.

Why?

Why continue to play the game?

And of course there will be people out there who will stand on the other side of it and say that the coach of the great team has no responsibility to pretend not to try.

"We're making babies out of all our kids!"

"They shouldn't just get a ribbon for participating!"

I hear ya', but this is a different story.

I played in a game that was out of hand in the same manner that Sam's was.

I distinctly remember how I felt as that game played out.

The clock didn't seem to be moving at all.

They'd score and laugh.

We'd shoot and miss.

Up and down the floor, over and over and over.

The thought I had in my head was the same question I asked earlier...

...Why?

We'd get to the huddle and the coach would implore us not to quit, or to pretend that the game was tied.

"Win it from here on out!!!" He screamed.

Four minutes later we were back on the sideline...we'd been outscored 12-1.

"Don't quit!"

I can't imagine how the girls on the losing team of a 161-2 game felt.

The winning coach claimed that he only ran his offense for the first half.

He was suspended anyway.

The parents are screaming.

Both sides of the argument are being heard.

Babies!

Spoiled sport!

161-2.

The two points came from 1 made free throw in each half.

They didn't even make a single shot from the floor.

That's a learning experience?

Why?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie