The Honorable Judge


There are people who just storm into your life.

And stay there forever.

Ward Weiser was my father's friend...

...first.

He was also my friend, John's friend, Jim's friend, Jeff's friend, Carrie's friend and Corinne's friend.

He was a friend to all of our spouses and our children.

Ward, who spent years as a Judge, was larger than life to all of us.

The photo of Ward and Jim tells the story.

You can see how much those two men enjoy standing next to one another. When Jim called to tell me that Ward had passed away I just kept thinking:

"Ward is too important to die!"

There were a lot of people who loved being in Ward's presence.

Little secret:

Ward called me: 'Clissy.'

He always did...from the time I was a toddler. He once told me that he had tried to say 'Cliffy' and it came out 'Clissy' and he just went with it.

Ward was the only guy who ever called me 'Clissy'!

I loved when he did.

The love between our families has been there for all my life.

Ward and Mary are legends in North Collins.

You could just feel the love between the two.

You just knew that they were people who got it right, lived it right.

Worked hard and loved life...

...right!

When we were living in California, Dad once called Ward just to chat. We found out that Scott was on the base right next to our apartment in Mountain View.

Scott ate every single meal at our place after that.

(That's no small thing - Scott likes to eat!)

Yet, it was Dad and Ward's friendship that spurred all of our friendships with Scott, Matt and Maria.

The Fuzzy's and the Weiser's love being around one another.

It's just a fact!

Ward also officiated at my wedding.

Despite the fact that his voice was soft from unbelievable medical battles I needed Ward to be the guy who sent me off into marriage.

My beautiful wife was initially skeptical because Ward was speaking so lightly, but three minutes after meeting Ward...

...she understood.

(At least he didn't call me 'Clissy' for the vows!)

The subject of my marriage came up the last time that I saw Ward.

"I got married by a judge," I said. "I should have asked for a jury."

Ward laughed.

And I don't say that lightly.

When Ward laughed his entire face lit up. His eyes smiled. His mouth smiled. His heart smiled.

He wrapped an arm around my shoulder. His voice was still a little raspy.

"I've always loved you guys," he said.

The feeling was mutual, buddy.

And it ain't over.

Our love for you is alive and well.

Every once in awhile...I'll smile with everything I have...

...and I'll think of my buddy Ward.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So nice Cliff! We will all miss Ward.
Unknown said…
Beautiful tribute.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie