Trapped!

Day 6 of operation stuck in my freaking home.

It's weird, but people really hate the government most every day of the year, but man, when service is needed...

The first thing our County Executive did was name the storm something really stupid - Storm Knife or something dumb like that.

It didn't catch on.

Then there were people worried about the people stranded in their cars along the Thruway...a perfectly reasonable response. There were folks stuck for days in their cars.

I can't imagine.

The main roads were cleared fairly quickly but the bans stayed in place so that the plows and emergency vehicles could start helping people clear themselves out.

Here is what we saw of the plow...

On Wednesday the plow came down the road...clearing snow...pushing it...into a virtual mountain...then stopped pushing it...

...yep, right in front of my house...where the plow got stuck.

Huge plow.

Stuck.

The driver was screaming out his window. I decided that pushing his vehicle was a bit beyond my pay grade.

But help was on the way!

A loader came by and hooked to the plow. The back end of the plow got free and the plow and the loader left.

"They know we're stranded here!" I said. "They'll save us."

24 hours later the loader was back.

The guy scooped a huge scoop of snow and put it in reverse.

"They're clearing it," Kathy announced.

The guy backed down the street.

That was 30 hours ago.

He took one scoop.

Yet my boys got a huge rush of ambition. They headed out and shoveled and shoveled and shoveled. I took my turn. I watched Kathy shovel and then fall down in her stint.

(Sam thought that was real funny).

And still here we are.

But I'm not one of the people who is complaining too harshly about what the town, county and government aren't doing for me.

I'm sure that there are men and women working 22 hour days to try and clear this mess.

We just haven't been fully taken care of yet.

What has been supremely frustrating to me is that I have a mind that is intent on getting things done, but it's not a matter of just getting out there and throwing snow until we're down to dry pavement.

It can't be moved by hand.

The snow is too compacted for the snow blower.

The mountain is too high.

Yet the whine is all in what I can't do.

"Ten years ago," I started to say.

But I'm not sure that is even true.

My legs are like lead.

The warm up and the rain are on the way.

"We move on to phase 2," the County Executive said. "Now we have to worry about the flooding."

We're still in phase 1 over here!!!

Because I'm trapped!

But I know someday I'll walk out of here again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie