August 13, 1997


So, Karen sold her copy of Waldorf & Juli.

My cousin Maryann bought it the other day, from an Internet site. Since I once sold it to Karen at least my beautiful cousin didn't pay too much to get her hands on it.

Seems Karen wasn't thrilled having a signed copy.

But...it got me thinking.

Where did this Karen, who I certainly don't recall, see me?

I went to my trusty journal for the day.

August 13, 1997.

Jake was just two months old.

I had just quit my job of 8 years to take the same job that I have now.

We were newly married. We were looking for a house. I was playing a lot of video games with Matt as we tried to figure out how to handle the two kids and the dog.

Waldorf & Juli was off to a stunning start.

A lot of copies were being sold.

The Buffalo News had run a huge feature story.

I was showing up all over to do book signings.

I remember those days well, of course.

My Uncle Lenny had commented:

"A book, a wife and kids all in a few months. What the hell were you doing until now?"

We were also playing softball.

The Lions were in the championship round against the Fox's Den. A win in the 2 out of 3 and we'd win our 3rd straight championship.

Karen bought her copy of Waldorf & Juli at a book signing at the University at Buffalo. I remember the signing for two reasons:

1). I had to skip Game 2 of the championship series. My useless teammates lost without me so there would be a Game 3. (which we also lost).

and

2). I was greeted at the U.B. signing by the Head of the English Department. He was real standoffish.

"I'm skeptical about the book release," he said when I shook his hand. "I've been trying for years to get a book published. How'd you get this done?"

I had no answer for the guy.

He lead me to the stage.

I spoke for thirty minutes to a crowd of a couple hundred in the auditorium. I told a bunch of funny stories. I also told them of losing a friend in a car accident.

I sold a lot of books after the talk.

Karen was in the line to greet me.

So was the professor.

"Now I know how you did it," he said as he shook my hand again. "Would you mind if I called you some time when I get stuck?"

I gave him my number and he did bother me for a long while afterwards. As far as I know he's never published anything.

As for Waldorf & Juli?

The bottom fell out just a few weeks later.

My publisher had sunk a lot of money into a book about Princess Diana. Diana was supposed to promote it.

Diana died just a few weeks after this signing.

My publisher pulled the plug on everything.

The thousands of copies of Waldorf & Juli that had been printed were stolen. Someone called me from somewhere out west.

"I have 500 copies of the book I'll sell back to you," he said.

God I wish that I would have bought them.

So...there it is Maryann...enjoy the story.

Karen sucks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie