Walking a Tightrope

Nik Wallenda was in the area to walk a tightrope across Niagara Falls on Friday night. As I drove around in the morning I listened to a program that discussed the daring walk. I imagined being up above the rushing, charging, violent waters thundering below.

It would certainly be difficult to stay on line and make each step steady.

Fighting for time on the same program was the story of the surgeon who, to that point, was still believed to be on the loose. He was since found dead, but I thought of him in the context of the man high above the roaring waters on a terribly thin line.

"I'm not going to that stupid show," one of the callers to the radio show said. "He's gonna' be tethered. If there ain't no chance of seeing him die, what good is it?"

I considered the poor young mother who was gunned down because her life entwined with a man with a truly diseased mind. I thought of the terror of the last few moments of her life. I considered the booming noise in that isolated stairway as the gun was emptied. The sound had to be deafening.

Like the roar of the Falls.

"He was trained in the military," another caller said, "The sorry excuse for cops in this town will never catch him."

I felt sad for all of humanity. The murder of a young mother captured the imagination of a few people who actually thought they were seeing a movie played out with Denzel in the lead role.

I pictured the smile on that girl's face. A news photo showed them side-by-side, and called them tortured lovers.

I was glad they captured a pretty smile for all of us to recall. There was one tortured soul in that relationship.

May God shine His light on her family.

"We've all come close to snapping," another caller said.

I don't much like it when there are dishes in the sink. As far as mental illness goes, that's about the worst of it.

Snapping in a murderous rage?

The rope is only about the width of a tennis ball. Wallenda will be tied-off, but there certainly are risks.

One missed step.

"He called himself the tickle monster," one of the victims in the Sandusky trial said.

In my mind I was in that courtroom, listening to the voices break as the sheer hell was communicated to a jury of Sandusky's peers. Hopefully, a gathering of men and women who will put the tickle monster away for the rest of his life.

And I thought of God again, and how it seemed unjust that Sandusky spent his adult life preying on the innocent. Crashing into the sensibilities of all men.

Like mad water rushing, violently exploding as it's carried down, down, down.

And I was aching for all of the victims in all of the cases that slip by, forgotten as yesterday's news. So many folks falling from the tightrope, every day, crashing into some sort of deadly reality.

Recovery is no longer an option.

I'm glad Wallenda was tied off.

May God shine His light on the families who are suffering from the evil in the world.

May the next troubled man keep his balance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie