Sirloin Tip Roast

I took a big hunk of meat out of the freezer for our Saturday dinner. As I marinated the perfectly cut sirloin tip roast I thought of the "new white meat," as Pops called it:

Human flesh.

Yep! Human flesh!

It's all the rage.

There was a guy on a bus in Winnipeg. Then we had the man in New York, the dude in Florida, and the man who fried up his roommate in Maryland.

He stuck with the organs though - brain and heart.

He better watch that, it might present itself in the form of gout, and gout is painful.

Are you freaking kidding me?

People eating other people?

"Did you hear about the zombies?" Jake asked me.

My poor boy looked a little nervous as he relayed the story of the Miami crime.

"Could there really be zombies?"

Sometimes your children ask you to make sense of things for them. It's hard to do when things are totally nonsensical. I took the opportunity to bring up the bath salts problem that seems to be one of the problems in the functioning of society.

"They get high on bath salts?" Jake asked. "And then eat other humans?"

"Sounds like a helluva' weekend," I said.

And I'm a good eater, but I really don't experiment much. I have never tried Buffalo, or horse, or dog, or snake, or turtle, or even frog legs. I'm not a big fan of sushi although my sisters swear by it. I don't even do venison very well. No squirrel, no fox, and no alligator.

Dad cooked a rabbit one time and that went down all right but I chased it with a half-pound of ziti so who knows how good it was. Mom was a little pissed, wondering why the chicken was so small. Dad told her after she ate a little.

My point being...I highly doubt that I will be trying human flesh in this lifetime. And to be fair, it kind of galls most of us, right?

Often times I'm asked if it's tough to come up with something to write about every day as I do this blog.

It's fairly easy, actually, given the miserable way that human beings seem to behave. There are few limits on disgust, bad behavior and mental illness.

The roast was slow-cooked to perfection. It was quite good, actually.

I'll stick with cow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie