Let Love Give


Welcome to the world Adalyn Grace!

Big baby. Must have been rough for my niece Katie, but all the males out there know that Matt was the poor bastard who did most of the work.

And the first thought I had when I was delivered the good news was:

Let love give what it gives.

Love gives the great moments. The flat-out freaking miracles.

I immediately sent Matt a text. I offered a quip that my brother Jeff thought up in the moments after my beautiful wife gave birth to Jake. The words of that first text will stay between us. Jeff's words weren't fit to print, but that quick text was for Matt's benefit, and mine because I wanted to tap into how he felt right at that moment. I wanted to share his joy.

The world is different. It doesn't seem so scary. It's filled with love and with the middle name of your new beautiful child:

Grace.

Just take it. Live it.

A month from now, when you're standing in your kitchen, in the middle of the night, wondering if you'll ever sleep again, remember how you felt the moment Adalyn arrived.

19 years from now, when she's driving you East when you want to go West, and you're thinking she's clueless, remember how you felt the moment when you met her for the first time.

Carry the feeling of love in your heart for always.

I do remember that cloud of invincibility and walking out into the air of a new day where I knew something nobody else knew for a minute. When my boys entered my life I skipped through the day; tired, scared, but filled with something completely different.

Life-changing love.

There are millions of babies born every day. You don't have to be overly bright to welcome a child into the world. You don't even have to give a crap in a lot of respects, but when you're bright enough to accept the challenge and pledge the love and commit to what is a gift.

A tremendous gift.

Than you will have won.

It sounds easy.

Let love give what it gives.

Welcome Adalyn. Congrats to a wonderful couple of goofy kids. You'll do real well.

And the gift keeps giving if you open your heart to it.

It just does.

Late last night I was in my room as the Celtics were about to close out the Miami Heat. I'm not the biggest pro basketball fan in the world, but I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Celtics - think Bird, McHale and the greatest Celtic of all-time - Ernie D. -

Anywho-ha...the bedroom door cracked open and Sam entered.

"What're you doing up so late?" I asked.

"Can I watch the rest with you," he asked, ignoring my question.

"Absolutely."

The Celtics closed it out. He was happy.

I was happy.

After a rough day I let the moment stand.

Just let love give.

Congrats, Mom and Dad.

Comments

deafjeff said…
Congrats to Matt and Katie. Uh Celtics/Heat didn't play last night, how do you know the Celts closed them out already?
Cliff Fazzolari said…
Game 5...dumb dumb...night before.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie