I Can Just Hear You Getting Fatter

As a male in a back-biting environment with friends and brothers that are always ready with the quick put down I have had to arm myself with a couple of fat jokes.

I use them all the time.

Me: Are you losing weight?

Unsuspecting Foe: Yeah, I've lost a few pounds.

Me: You must be a B-cup now.

Or

Me: You have something on your chin.

Unsuspecting foe tries to wipe the imaginary item away.

Me: No, the third one down.

Of course, we live in a sensitive society. We have to watch what we say to one another particularly in a work setting. Of course I work around construction guys most days so the rules sort of don't apply. The other day I watched an ironworker with a bit of girth to him bite into a cheeseburger off the roach coach.

"I can just hear you getting fatter," I said.

That is a David Spade line from one of the greatest movies ever...Tommy Boy. Damn. I miss Farley. Damn I miss the guy I saw it on back-to-back nights with on the weekend it came out.

But anyway, I write all of this because there are reports out that say that 51% of the country will be obese by the year 2030 and that 10 or 12% of those people will be morbidly obese.

I can see it.

Check out an amusement park over the summer. There are some real sausages out there and a few of them still try and get into sexy outfits. That oughta' be against the law.

I've learned a few tricks.

1). Don't tuck your shirt in.

2). Always give your weight at least 15 pounds less than what you are.

3). Use the Farley line: "Not sure if you've noticed: I have what some might consider a weight problem."

4). Wear earplugs to block out the sound of yourself getting fatter.

And the problem is two-fold.

First:

Have you ever seen one of those weight charts?

I'm six-feet tall and 47 years old. According to the chart I should weight between 165 and 175. Ten percent more than that and I'm obese.

P-leeeeeassssseeeeee.

If I weighed 165 people would check me into a hospital. Besides since I'm only 180 right now, I'm not that far off, right?

(I might get a few comments with that last line).

And secondly:

I was at a convenient store this morning and I was a little hungry. There was a basket of Granny Smith apples right next to the Chocolate Chip Muffins that just came out of the oven.

What to do?

What to do?

Let's leave it open here:

Which one did I chose and why?

First correct answer receives a book.

You have to nail my reason for the choice.

Comments

deafjeff said…
You ate the apple because you're a Fuzzy and don't like sweets. Ah hell you probably had both and blamed it on an overactive gland.
Anonymous said…
You took both. The apple was used to cover the smell of the muffin on your breath...
DQ Queenie said…
The muffin - life is just too damn short to settle for an apple.
Cliff Fazzolari said…
Okay...I had the muffin...and the reason is simple...cause I'm obese like everyone else.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie