Celebrate Your Life


The Gow School invited us to participate in the awarding of the Jeff Fazzolari Memorial Scholarship. Even better, they fed us first.

I really need to eat spinach salad more often.

We headed to the gym on a sweltering hot day after meeting some of the people who loved Jeff in a work setting. Brad, Paul, Gayle, Kathleen and many others stopped by to hug us. Corinne was her usual fantastic self, and Mom smiled through eyes that threatened tears.

But there's no tougher Fuzzy than Mom.

Not even close.

I presented the award to a student who met with me at the first book signing I did for Oh Brother! The Life and Times of Jeff Fazzolari.

Ibrahim Kalla is not from our country, but he told me a story about being welcomed to Gow by Jeff. He cried at the book signing. I remember signing a book for him and giving him a hug.

"I loved your brother," he told me back then.

I didn't remember him until I saw him on Friday. I was happy they chose him as the student recipient.

The faculty member who was also honored was Paul Rose, Jeff's good friend for years. Paul deserved the honor and I was proud to present it to him.

In fact, I was proud the entire time. In the sweltering heat, smiling with Corinne, feeling the pangs of pain.

Proud ruled the day.

And with my head held high I headed for the exit.

A woman intercepted me.

She was obviously not a U.S. Citizen and she confirmed that for me as her eyes filled with tears.

"We flew to Buffalo in a snowstorm in January of '09. We arrived late and were told the best they could do for us at such a late hour was hot chocolate in the cafe. I was so scared. I was leaving my son here for his education. The snow was flying. We were so tired and so scared."

I knew what was coming but I didn't say a word.

"Your brother was in the kitchen when we arrived. He made us hot chocolate and then he made enough food for ten people. It was late, he was tired, but he prepared a meal for us, and then he sat with us and told us it would be all right. He was so funny."

Tears flowed down the woman's face.

It was exactly what I thought she'd tell me.

Perhaps I'm wrong when I sign the books:

"Jeff's Message: Celebrate Your Life."

He celebrated everyone's life.

"We were total strangers," the woman said. "He didn't have to do it."

"Yes he did," I said as I hugged her. "That was Jeff."

So proud.

Comments

Anonymous said…
so sweet... touching!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie