Trouble Adjusting

Man if I hear one more sports show talking about the tough time that athletes have adjusting to having nothing to do with their millions and millions of dollars as they struggle to get into the swing of not being cheered and adored, I might puke.

"It's difficult," one talking head was saying. "The thousands of cheering fans, the public adulation, the steady million dollar paycheck...those things stop coming in...and then the poor athlete is left to struggle and try and figure out what he can do from day-to-day. You can only do so much surfing, or play so many rounds of golf."

Boo-freaking hoo.

Give me a break.

I'm sorry. I don't have a ton of sympathy for the poor downtrodden ex-athlete.

How many people have actually stood up and clapped for you when you did your job well?

How many $100,000 paychecks have you cashed?

Now, of course, this is all coming from the story about Junior Seau and while I feel bad that he wasn't able to find his place and that he decided to take his own life, but let's not turn it into an epidemic here, people.

Coincidentally I was clicking through television shows the other night and Jim Abbott, the former big league pitcher with one freaking hand was on television talking about his post-baseball charity.

In essence this is what Abbott said:

I was fortunate to make the money I did. When I was playing I was thrilled to meet the fans and I decided, when it was done, to still work with the fans. I make appearances and sign autographs and just shake hands. I was privileged. I was blessed.

Privileged?

Blessed?

He was born without a freaking hand!

"Do you think you'd be the man you are today if you had a normal right hand?" the host asked him.

"Are you asking me if I like my little hand?" Abbott asked. "Yeah, I guess I do."

If he could adjust...and millions of people with disabilities adjust how come these athletes can't adjust?

I'm willing to bet that everyone reading this would love to live from the age of 35 or 36 with millions in the bank and nothing to do.

Trouble adjusting?

Cry me a river.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The great ones always give back. The bums are broke in less then a year...
John said…
Another one that needs to be published for the world to see. Great post Cliffy!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie