Don't Quit. Don't Ever Quit

One of the great lessons of my adult life was learned when I finally figured out that no matter how much you love someone you can't make them behave the way you want them to behave.

You might see it all so clear, and you might know what needs to be done, but you might just as well stay quiet about it because it's nearly impossible to give someone everything they need.

Little story.

About twenty years ago I worked with a guy who by all accounts was a great guy. He was always cheerful, had plenty of times for jokes, and seemingly did well for his wife and kids. He was a big man too - about 6'5" and well over 280.

He had one problem.

A real bad back.

I'm talking a back that brought him pain every day of his adult life. He went through all of it. Pain pills, surgery, therapy, rehab, more surgery. He was always struggling to get on top of it.

He went to work every day.

He never bitched.

He never got on top of it though.

It killed him.

He shot himself in the head leaving behind a wife and those teenage kids.

And man I was mad at him.

He never gave off a vibe that it was what he might do. I would try and give him advice, but I was a lot younger. I hadn't been through it all.

I had no idea.

I miss him as an adult. We would still be talking, I know it. And now I know a bit of what he went through because back pain takes control. It really does. But never and I mean never can I figure that something like that could ever happen.

Keep punching.

It's a real motto.

And the other day when I heard that Junior Seau killed himself I thought about my buddy.

I thought about all of the people who "just give up living and start dying little by little and piece by piece,"

And I thought of Jim Valvano, the old college basketball coach who while dying of cancer begged his audience:

"Don't quit. Don't ever quit."

I know my buddy was loved. I know his family misses him horribly. I know he could have found his way. Life is hope. Hope is always possible. Keep the faith.

Keep punching.

Don't quit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie