Suck Sox

Wow, Josh Beckett is a true dork, isn't he?

Let's recap.

Last year he was the bandleader of the chicken and beer in the clubhouse as the team tanked. After the season was over he was more concerned with finding the snitch than apologizing for his obviously selfish antics.

Cut to the new year. I must admit I was a little worried because high-priced athletes usually perform best when they feel the world is out to get them or they are in a contract year.

Beckett isn't in a contract year. He will get $17 million for his 30-to 35 starts. Evidently, he doesn't care if the world is out to get him.

You see, Beckett called in sick on one of the starts, saying that he had tightness in his back.

Damn, good work if you can get it. I now have a bum hip to go along with my herniated discs and I'm still climbing ladders.

Anyhow, he was granted a day off, and then the team had a day off after playing a 17-inning game that they lost because they ran out of pitchers and although Beckett was there, his sore back disqualified him. The left fielder gave up a 3-run bomb and they lost.

It wasn't a big deal to Josh. He had an off day coming up.

Bad back and all...he went golfing.

That, in and of itself, may not be the biggest crime. Opening his mouth was a lot worse.

"We only get 18 days off a year," he said. "I shouldn't be answering quesions about what I do on my day off."

Couple of things, Josh:

First, you get off from the end of September until the first week in April.

Secondly, you pitch about once a week.

I guess the days when you're sitting in the clubhouse eating chicken and sucking beer are actually work days.

And 17 million a year. The suck sox fans pay 100 bucks a seat. You don't owe them a bit of an explanation?

Also, picture this:

Call your boss and tell them you won't be in because you're feeling back tightness. Then tell him it's none of his business when he asks you about playing golf the day after you took the day off.

He might have a problem.

Anywho-ha...the whole deal was fun for me. I was able to send funny texts to the sux sox fans I know.

They didn't answer me.

Even A-Rod isn't that big a douche.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty