Bob Seger is 67

I remember when I was young and hanging out with my grandparents. Knowing that they were up in their 60's I was scared, of course, that the clock was running down.

"67! Man, that's a long time," I used to think.

I don't quite think the same way now, of course. It calls to mind one of my favorite Grandpa lines. I know I've used it before. It was the day before his 80th birthday.

"Geez, 80...I don't know if I want to live to 80," I said.

"You do when you're 79," Grandpa answered.

I imagine that Bob Seger today is rooting for 68 because he just turned 67.

And that blows my mind.

I remember back in the real early 80's when Seger blew through town on his Against the Wind tour. I wasn't allowed to go to the concert. A few of my friends did. My wife taunts me with it because she went all those years ago. Seger played two shows on back-to-back nights.

I still have never seen him play live.

One of these days.

And when I saw his name in the celebrity birthdays today I was astounded by the number beside his name. 67. Grandma and Grandpa territory for sure.

He is talking about a new album.

A few of the greatest songs he ever made rolled through my mind and Old Time Rock and Roll wasn't one of them. I hate that song...the only one he ever made that I don't like.

Roll Me Away and Against the Wind and Hollywood Nights and Down on Main Street and Night Moves and on and on and on. He really found the formula there for awhile. Most of his albums appear to be Greatest Hits compilations.

And why am I writing about Seger today?

Because I wanted to really concentrate on something good after reading the Saturday edition of the paper...tanning ladies, drunk drivers, sports teams begging broke taxpayers for money, Mariano getting hurt, the economy, gas prices, Romney, Obama, blah, blah, f*^$ing blah.

Roll Me Away (I highlighted the lines I scream - Happy Birthday Bob)

Took a look down a westbound road
Right away I made my choice
Headed out to my big two-wheeler
I was tired of my own voice
Took a bead on the Northern plains
And just rolled that power on.

12 hours out of Mackinaw city
stopped in a bar to have a brew
met a girl and we had a few drinks
and I told her what I decided to do
She looked out the window a long, long moment
then she looked into my eyes
She didn't have to say a thing
I knew what she was thinking

Roll me away won't you roll me away tonight
I too am lost, I feel double-crossed
and I'm sick of what's wrong and what's right

We never even said a word
We just walked out and got on that bike
And we rolled
We rolled clean out of sight

We rolled across the high plains
deep into the mountains
felt so good to me
finally feeling free

Somewhere along a high road
The air began to turn cold
She said she missed her home
I headed on alone

Stood alone on a mountain top
Starin' out at the great divide
I could go East, I could go West
It was all up to me to decide


Just then I saw a young hawk flying
And my soul began to rise
And pretty soon my heart was singing

Roll, roll me away

I'm gonna' roll me away tonight
Gotta' keep on rollin'
Gotta' keep on ridin'
Keep searching 'til I find what's right

And as the sunset faded
I spoke to the faintest first starlight

And I said 'next time.'
next time
we'll get it right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie