Winter Storm Warning

The talk started on Friday. By Sunday everyone was in a real tizzy.

"16 inches of drifting and blowing snow," some people said.

As I stated a couple of months back I really wanted a snowstorm this year. Just one. A simple storm that would keep us all in the house for a day or so.

It didn't happen.

It didn't happen this week either.

Yet the strange thing about this storm is that all the dog poop is cleaned up and we've actually mowed the grass three times. The freaking temperature was 77 on Friday when people were speaking about the coming storm.

That's just weird.

And the strange weather just brings all sorts of questions to mind. A couple of nights ago a fireball raced through the Nevada skies and shook windows and shocked the crap out of thousands of citizens. One guy thought it was the end of the world. They felt and heard it in California as well, and the fireball was supposedly no bigger than a washing machine.

We are at the absolute mercy of whatever is coming down the pike, right? People fear global warming and/or glaciers. Hurricanes, earthquakes and tsunamis.

"Do like they do in Rome when it rains," my father used to say. "Let it rain."

I tried not to let it mess with my head on Monday. Instead I put my heavy coat on and headed out to start my day.

"It's been nuts here," my friendly neighborhood cashier said. "People are stocking up on bread, milk and water. You'd think the world was coming to an end."

In the back of my mind I thought of December 21, 2012.

That's supposed to be it, right?

Should I be stockpiling shit?

We only have about a half gallon of milk at home, and I'm nearly out of Apple Jacks.

"You know what they do in Rome when it snows?" I asked the cashier.

"No, what?" she asked, pulling in the hook, line and sinker.

"They let it snow."

"You're such an asshole," she said.

So, I've been called names a few days in a row now.

I think I'll try and extend that streak tomorrow.

It'll probably happen.

I'm more dependable than the weather.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty