In Fathomable

I was ready. I told my buddy John that he was in for an amazing show.

We laughed a little about how I undersold it.

I'm just gonna' say it. Bruce Springsteen is the greatest entertainer...ever.

I think it was about halfway through Darkness on the Edge of Town when I leaned into my sister and said:

"He's better than the freaking Beatles."

And it's not as close as the score might indicate either.

18,000 people stood for the better part of three hours and they laughed, grieved and sang. Mostly they just shook their heads in amazement.


And Bruce has been a central figure in my life in a world far away, but there are so many moments when he seems to touch the entire family. Last night, Carrie got him back for us!

She laid a single finger on his back as he strolled by. She dove across the seats to do it and the people all around us thought she was out of her freaking mind. She was, is, as we all were. She touched him for me, John, Jim, Corinne, Jeff, Mom, Dad and every single one of our kids. Just the tip of her finger grazed the leather vest.

A Human Touch.

Of course, I know all of the music. I could even almost guess the set list, but it still struck me as powerful. The E Street Band is sure that it is their responsibility to make the collective world feel better.

"He sings every note as if his life depends upon it," John said.

But it might be more than that.

"It's as if OUR lives depend upon it."


It's been that way, for me, for a long time. I do love the Beatles and the Stones and a hundred other bands, but I don't feel as if I know any of them.

Bruce makes us all feel that he's a friend.

62 years old. 3 hours. 26 songs. He ran, jumped, slid, bent over backwards...literally...and sang every word as if his life depended on it.

Incredible.

Unbelievable.

Uplifting.

Beautiful.

The best ever.

At one point he was about 6 feet away, singing, gesturing and laughing.

"Thank you," I yelled out.

I don't think he heard me.

But he just has to know, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie