For Someone Else

Started Saturday morning with a bowl of Apple Jacks and reading the story about the man who beat his ten-year-old stepson to death with a club.

The story was continued on page A-4 and instead of turning to the thrilling conclusion, I moved on.

Garbage in, garbage out. Negative, horrific, mind-numbing sadness.

I didn't want it.

Re-read the story chronicled in my last blog about Bruce giving back. Thought about people who've written to me, thanking them for writing something.

Inspired to do something good today...

...for someone else.

Maybe for my wife who's worked hard all week.

Maybe for my kids...who deserve my grace and not a wooden club across the skull.

I folded the paper and took the dogs for their ride.

Man, they appreciated the gesture. We talked birds and squirrels and bacon-flavored rawhide.

Live is better lived from the vantage point of doing something for someone else, but it isn't always easy to do when we get wrapped up in our own little battles.

You think of the scandals.

The secret service agents, the greedy bankers, the self-serving lobbyists, the maniacal terrorists, the drunk drivers, the drug dealers.

All having one thing in common:

Doing shit for themselves and not giving two shits about anyone else.

And it occurs to me that we don't have to be overly brilliant as we pass through this life.

We don't need to write the perfect sentence or play the perfect note, or visit fans in a wheelchair.

We don't have to do much more than do something for someone else.

Somewhere along the way.

Once a day.

Sounds simple, but it isn't.

Man, if we could!

What a far more rewarding life it would be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie