A Ten Pound Weight

You never know what you'll hear on Howard.

In the middle of a funny interview with another radio shock jock, Jason Ellis, Howard got to the bottom of Ellis' marital strife. Ellis actually uttered the great line.

"Even the strongest man in the world can't hold a ten pound weight over his head forever. Eventually, he will drop it."

Profound, right?

I know a lot of people who hold a weight over their own head, every day of their life, pretending that they can handle it forever and too afraid to just let it go. I have carried various weights, at various times, for varied durations.

Sometimes we need to ask others to help us hold the weight for a little while until we can get our grip back.

There are even more days when we should just give up hoisting it aloft.

The problem being, of course, that we don't want to appear weak. We don't want to ask for help, and sometimes when we get used to lugging the burden we sort of hang onto it like a crutch, afraid to let it go even though it's painful to hold it up.

I must admit that I've carried more than ten pounds over my head for the last few years. I am afraid to set the boulder down, knowing that I am going to have to let go, not only of that boulder but all the great memories that were attached with the boulder being hoisted on my back.

Don't you love the peaceful moments of clarity that life allows us to glimpse from time to time?

I remember us all driving home from my parent's home back when the kids were real young. It was a bright, clear summer night. The stars were high in the high sky. Two of three of the kids were sleeping in their car seats. Mark Knopfler was on the car stereo, and we returning from a good meal at Mom and Dad's. The entire family had been there.

My mind was at ease.

With everything.

"I wish I could bottle how relaxed I feel," I said to Kathy.

I couldn't.

It was one of those pure, innocent moments of clarity.

I do know some people...very few it turns out...who feel such a sense of peace nearly every day.

You know, writing about it has cleared my mind a little bit. I feel like I set the boulder down. I'll probably pick it up again first thing in the morning, but for right now, my shoulders feel light.

Wish I could bottle this.

But I can't.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie