I'm Only Gonna' Say This Once

Well, the house is getting there. I haven't taken the tree down yet. I may leave it until Saturday, but the clean-up went well, and there were a few surprises along the way.

I cooked yesterday. 12 pounds of turkey, 10 pounds of ham, a batch of sauce with 3 pounds of meatballs and about 5 pounds of sausage. The sauce was perfect. We also had five pounds of roast beef and I peeled over ten pounds of potatoes and mashed them. Tried Jeff's secret on the gravy, and it was good. Not there, but good.

And usually Kethy's family hardly puts a dent in that much food. They normally eat like birds compared to my side of the family who eats as if we are going to the chair right after dinner.

Well, surprise...they ate nearly everything. They drank a dozen bottles of wine, a bottle of Jamesons and a bottle of Patron.

All right, I helped a little. I pounded a pound of the pasta and tried a few shots.

I cleaned as I went and Kathy cleaned even more than me, but there were still a few stray items thrown about. We were putting them in their proper places so I could sit down in peace.

I was thinking about all the money spent and all the time and aggravation that went into a few hours of fun. It was fun.

Was it all worth it?

Sam waltzed in the room and stood between us.

"I'm only going to say this once," he said.

He paused for a long moment as though he were nervous.

"Me, Jake and Matt are lucky to have you two," he said.

He waited for a response. We were both stunned.

"Okay?" He asked. "All right?"

So cool. So worth it.

A lot of what you do as a parent...the day in, the day out. The getting up early and working late. All the meals. All the diaper changes.

All the freaking money.

He only said it once.

That's all he really had to say it, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie