It's All Passing Me By All of a Sudden

Sam was singing a rap song the other day. I think it came on during a movie or a commercial or something. As he sang, I lurched for the remote.

"Hey!" he screamed as I muted it. "That's a good song."

"That's not a song. No instruments, no singing, nothing. It's hurting my ears."

Then it occurred to me that I have never seen any of the following shows:

Dancing with the Stars, America's Got Talent, Grey's Anatomy, Big Brother, or even American Idol for that matter.

I don't know anything about any of the following movies:

Harry Potter, or Twighlight.

The world has officially passed me by.

Last night I watched an episode of Bob Newhart followed by the Odd Couple. Newhart was from 1974. Oscar and Felix from 1972.

Tony Randall is dead. Newhart's wife is dead. Klugman and Newhart are barely hanging on.

I got aggravated watching football this week. One guy stepped on another guy's head. Every first down was cause for a Broadway Show by the guy who made it across the line, and touchdowns, forget it! Those were flat-out one-act plays.

"You gotta' get with the times," my buddy told me.

But perhaps I am just fine with this wave of crap passing me by.

Quick: name the number one rapper from 1999.

Hell: Name one from then who is still alive or out of prison.

Quick: Who won the last 3 Dancing with the Stars?

Hell: Who won the 2002 Super Bowl?

I know who won the 1969 Super Bowl...Namath was an entertainer. I never once saw him fake shoot himself in the leg.

Man, I used to get so mad at my Dad when he presented this argument. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe all of these people are wonderfully talented and I'm just a grumpy old bastard.

I've been wrong before.

But I really feel like the moral center is gone, and that there is little hope for mutual respect out there.

No one will ever write a great song again. (With the exception of the old guys still doing it).

We will never see another great new show.

Getting old?

I'm way freaking past that!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty