New England Book Festival


So, the book placed in the New England Book festival and despite the fact that the awards ceremony is dangerously close to where the Red Sux eat fried chicken and drink beer during games, I'm going!

When I received the email telling me that the book would get an award I immediately thought of my family. My Mom, my brothers and sisters, and all the wonderful people who sent me beautiful words about Jeff and the story. Like one I received earlier in the day.

Dear Cliff,

I sat down to start the book and never put it down until I was finished.

I cried my eyes out because I have felt that pain before. This was the first time anyone has ever been able to describe what I was feeling when my Grandma had a stroke and was in the hospital.

Although she was older, she was healthy and the head of our family. I would stay with her as much as I could and I hated to leave her in the hospital when I had to return to my "normal" life.

I remember all the glimpses of hope when she would say something or squeeze my hand. And I also questioned why God would do something like this to our family. You talked about the prayer to St. Jude and I would say that prayer to my Grandma every day while she laid there, hoping that she heard me.

Although it was an unbearable time for me, I am very thankful that I was given the time to say goodbye to her. I was able to tell her how much she meant to me and how much I loved her. Some people never have a chance to say goodbye. So that's what comforts me when I think of her. Thank you for writing such a beautiful book. You touched my life.

Amy


And once again, it dawned on me that such words are award enough.

And I thought of Cindy and Nicole and Megan at Sterlinghouse and how they made it the book it turned out to be and how their vision makes me so much better as a storyteller.

I thought of my friends and Jeff's friends. The very definition of friends. Each and every one.

But mostly, I thought of Jeff, and how he would tell me to clean myself up a little, try and hide the belly and the nipples and say something nice.

He would say, 'For God's sake, be funny at the ceremony, and let all them writer nerds know that guys like us can show them what's important.'

So that's what I'm going to do.

Thank you, Amy...and all who made this story an award-winning story of an amazing man.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie